We’re in Georgia and it’s still cold. This is WRONG! We’re still bundling up in coats, scarves and gloves and the heat is running.
We left Charleston at slack tide on Wednesday for perfect timing at the Wapoo Creek bridge opening. Unfortunately, Silhouette had to wait an hour for the tide to go down to go under the fixed bridge. The water is higher than normal along the coast due to strong north winds. This is great for transiting the shallow spots on the waterway but bad for boats needing the full 65 foot clearance at fixed bridges.
The day was cold, windy and dreary. We decided to anchor in a creek off the Edisto River before going through the Ashepoo Coosaw cutoff. The tide was falling and the cutoff is known for shoaling. It probably wouldn’t have been a problem with the higher than normal water but why take a chance.
It’s weird anchoring in stong current. There was good sticky mud that held us well through the current shifts. We stayed warm with our catalytic heater running until bedtime and filled up on spaghetti Bolognese.
The next morning was even gloomier with intermittent rain showers and strong winds. As we motored along, Bob on Silhouette called us with alarming news. They discovered a smoldering electrical fire somewhere in their forward head. He turned off all the electrical circuits and it seemed to stop but he didn’t want to use his windlass until he figured out the cause. We decided to pull in Port Royal Landing marina for the night.
After tying up in Port Royal we took the courtesy car into Beaufort for lunch. Actually, the courtesy ‘car’ was a pickup truck with a back seat. You should have seen us trying to move the front seat forward to get in the back. A guy in the car next to us showed us how to open the little door to get in the back. He had a good laugh at us city slickers!
It was very cold so we didn’t venture off the boat again in the evening. The boat pitched and rolled as the wind picked up and the current shifted–not a pleasant night for sleeping.
In the morning I woke up with my usual worries about how we’ll get off the dock at peak current. Thankfully, the guy on the boat in front of us helped us with our lines and it wasn’t a problem. It’s really tricky to take in all the factors of wind and current to leave a dock. The technique of holding the up-current dock line and letting either the bow or stern swing away from the dock works best. You just have to make sure your bow or stern clears the pilings. Oy!
We moved along towards Isle of Hope in yet another dreary weather day. I enjoyed listening to the Lady’s Island bridge tender on the radio. He has a deep voice and there’s a Darth Vader-like echo in the background. He patiently asks each boat for their vessel name and home port. Some people don’t understand so he keeps repeating the request louder and slower: G-I-V-E M-E Y-O-U-R V-E-S-S-E-L N-A-M-E A-N-D H-O-M-E P-O-R-T. When a boater doesn’t understand what ‘home port’ is he finally asks “WHERE ARE YOU FROM?” It’s hilarious!
The fixed bridge at Hilton Head didn’t have a height gauge and we were at high tide. Bob tried to go through at dead slow speed and hit the bridge with his mast. He backed off quickly and had to wait for the tide to go down. We went ahead and he ended up waiting about 2 1/2 hrs for the water level to go down. He doesn’t think there was any damage. At least his instruments are still okay. He joked that he sent Pam up on the bridge with a can of Rustoleum to cover up the evidence!
We crossed the Savannah River and arrived at Isle of Hope marina without any issues with depth. Silhouette arrived less than 2 hours later. We had appetizers, drinks and dinner ready for them after their trying day.
Yesterday morning Bob took a look behind his washer/dryer in the forward head and found a mass of melted wiring. He later figured out that the metal frame for the washer/dryer had rubbed through the windlass wiring and most likely caused the short-circuit. He had a few strong guys from the marina help him remove the washer/dryer from his boat. It didn’t work very efficiently and who needs that risk on board!
We spent a lovely day walking around Savannah and gazing at the beautiful homes on the squares. Last night we enjoyed a seafood dinner at Tubby’s in Thunderbolt.
Our plans are still sketchy. The cold north winds are going to keep up until later in the week. We’ll most likely leave here on Tuesday and make for Jekyll Island. It seems like a nice place to celebrate Thanksgiving. Onward and Beckoning are there now and plan to head further south. We’re not inclined to rush anywhere and are hopeful that warmer weather will allow us to visit Cumberland Island–one of our favorite spots on the waterway.
(Check out my photo of the week on the cruisers net!)