The cruising guide said to enter the Cape Cod canal west bound with the slack tide before an ebb–WRONG!  We chugged along as slow as 3 knots at times but eventually made it to the other side.  We also got a chuckle when the Coast Guard boat requested a pass and kept calling us Riverdance!

We enjoyed a lovely evening in Cuttyhunk harbor again.  Didn’t even go ashore–just hung out on the mooring and enjoyed the sights.  I even got out my hammock for the first time this trip!  It’s such a neat place–one of my favorites on this trip.

We arrived in Newport the next day and had the best experience finding a mooring on this trip.  The guy on the radio for Old Port Moorings gave us the best directions so far.  We walked around Newport and had a nice lunch.  Late in the afternoon Skip’s phone rang and it was a neighbor boat who noticed our Corinthian burgee and invited us over for drinks.  We were delighted to meet Rodney and Genie on their beautiful boat Victory, a classic Vineyard Vixen.  I like this Corinthian club!!!

The tall rigs in Newport
Huge sailboats in Newport–some had booms as big as our hull!

Nice racing boats in Newport harbor

Our next stop was Bristol which is right up the bay from Newport.  We picked up a mooring from the Herreshoff museum and went in for a tour.  What an impressive place with its classic boats and history of racing.

Herreshoff Museum
Herreshoff Museum

Herreshoff Museum
Skip loves this museum!

Herreshoff Museum
Nice lawn ornament

We anchored last night at an interesting spot called Duck Island Roads.  It’s just a little island off the Connecticut coast with 2 long breakwaters running out in a triangle.  It was a nice calm evening as we watched the Wednesday night races and the sunset.

Duck Island Roads race start
Start of races at Duck Island Roads
Watching the races
Enjoying the good life!
Race getting close
Front row seat for the races

Today we’re in Port Jefferson, NY.  We called on the VHF to request a mooring as we came into the harbor.  The guy on the launch boat pointed us to a mooring but picked up the pennant and waited for us to arrive.  I’m not sure how he expected us to take it from him without ramming his boat.  He was pretty clueless.  I hollered at him to move away and he finally got the message.  If there’s one thing we’ve learned to do well on this trip it’s picking up moorings!

After resting a bit we called the launch for a ride into town.  The launch arrived and we had the pleasure of meeting Martha — the woman everyone praised on Active Captain.   She was so nice and gave us good info on where to eat in town.  After a nice shower at the town’s harbor master facility we wandered the town and enjoyed some very potent drinks at Tequila Jack’s.

We’re heading to Port Washington tomorrow and then on through NYC to Atlantic Highlands while keeping a close watch on the tropical storm activity in the Atlantic.  Please…please…hold off any storms until we get home!

Sunset in Bristol
Sunset in Bristol