Greetings from Annapolis Harbor where we’re hanging out on a mooring. We pulled out of our slip last Wednesday and had a beautiful sail to the Magothy River. Our favorite anchoring spot is Eagle Cove where we can watch the horses and geese live in harmony.
Eagle Cove – Magothy River
Oh, and I always forget about the weekday water skiers that love to circle the anchorage at high speeds. It’s a real dilemma–do you anchor on the weekends when it’s really crowded and there’s a speed limit or suffer the wakes on a quiet week night? At least they turn in at dark!
According to the weather forecast there wasn’t supposed to be much wind but we had a perfect beam reach all the way to Swan Point the next day. It’s another favorite spot–very quiet during the week but bustling with weekend crabbers jockeying for space on the weekends. We hung out all day Friday and enjoyed the peace until storms started brewing in the evening. I was glued to the radar on my phone watching the storms develop over Baltimore and travel north and east. We dodged most of them except for one that went directly overhead.
Skip tries out his new Uke! Great sound and boat-sized!!
We waited until the storm passed to grill some excellent burgers from Fresh Market. They have bacon and cheese mixed in with the meat–yummy!
On Saturday morning we moseyed over to Osprey Point marina where the Chesapeake Bay Sabre Association was gathering. They have wonderful floating docks, pool and restaurant. Eventually, 9 boats came in and we all noshed on light appetizers and drinks by the pool before getting cleaned up for dinner at the restaurant. The crab cakes and steak (Skip’s choice) were delicious. Even more enjoyable was the conversations with our friends in the club.
Sunday’s weather prediction was pretty dire with strong storms and winds predicted. Everyone had to get back early but we decided to stay rather than get chased into harbor by the storms. What a good decision for us as we sat below and watched the sky darken and wind pick up. I think we saw over 40 knots of wind coming sideways with rain and hail. Everything was drenched and some hatches leaked from places we never imagined! I think this was the worst storm since that night anchored off the Alligator/Pungo canal (which I’d rather forget!!)
Another nasty storm
After the storm passed, people started popping out of their boats. The power went out so our plans to go out to dinner with Norman and Nancy (True Loev) were switched to plan B. We joined them on their boat for a lovely dinner of salad, pasta and wine along with the usual array of sea stories!
The next morning was clear and breezy. After a leisurely breakfast on True Loev we decided to shove off before the north wind blew all of the water out of Swan Creek. It was a lovely sail back to Annapolis using just the jib. We scrapped the original plan to go up the Severn River since the wind was on the nose and settled for a beautiful evening in Annapolis harbor.
We had a nice breakfast at Chick and Ruth’s and will pack up and head home today. Our plans for next week are up in the air as we watch the track of hurricane Irene. We’re thinking about all of the nice people in the Bahamas and hope they are okay…