I finally had enough wifi juice to add the Cat Island blog post last night. We actually left Cat Island on Wednesday (2/3). After listening to the weather forecast we decided to make a run back to the Exumas to wait out the approaching cold front. There aren’t too many options for protection from strong westerly weather in Cat or Long Island.

It was another long day of motor-sailing to get back to the Exumas. At least the seas were calm and I could read most of the day (finished the 2nd Steig Larsson book—couldn’t put it down!) We later learned that Mike and Angie had a problem with their macerator pump (empties waste from the holding tank) and had to do repairs underway. It was a huge mess. I added another item to our list of things we need to have onboard—macerator pump rebuild kit and, even better, a spare pump.

We entered Dotham cut just north of Black Point late in the afternoon and settled into the anchorage. Thursday morning I took Angie and Joe over to the laundry. We did a few loads and used the internet at Lorraine’s. When we were done, Skip filled our spare water jugs from the tap onshore. After a protracted discussion on our destination, we decided to head north to Exuma Park via Exuma Sound. We had assignments in the South mooring field where we would be protected from the west.

The conditions out in the Sound weren’t as predicted. The wind and waves were much stronger, making for a bouncy ride. We motor-sailed with the jib—should have put up a reefed main…

It was quite a nail biter turning into the South mooring field on Warderick Wells. We were heading straight for the rocky shore and rolling side to side until the final turn—ahhh, calm water at last! This is the perfect place to be in a strong cold front. There is protection all around from the seas and not enough water to create a long fetch for waves. Although we hear the wind screaming above, the boat is hardly moving. There are strong currents that twist us around the mooring ball but nothing too terrible. We can also easily beach the dinghy and take Bailey for his daily run.

This anchorage was used extensively by pirates in the 1700-1800’s. They hid here from approaching boats before attacking. Onshore is a pirate’s lair, a large clearing with a well (now inhabited by a large crab.)

We hunkered down for bad weather on Friday but it actually calmed down in the afternoon. We went ashore and explored one of the small out islands. Joe invited us over for one of his specialties—pizza dinner. Another boat came into the anchorage with friends of his on a sister ship (another Catalina 47.) We enjoyed meeting Jim and Sue on Pipedream.
The weather finally came in yesterday morning. We got a good steady rain—great for boat scrubbing! We both were out there in the rain scrubbing the boat and washing the plastic windows. I’m so happy to have a salt-free boat for a few days!

I baked a double recipe of cranberry-orange scones in the afternoon. When the wind calmed down, we took Bailey ashore and delivered some scones to our friends. Joe had called the office and got a wifi password for him and one for me. The signal here is very weak. I waited until everyone on the other side of the island went for the weekly sundowner party onshore and actually got enough of a signal to get email. Not much luck with the internet though…

Today (Sunday) the guys will work on repairing Joe’s dinghy. Maybe Angie and I will go for a hike. I did hear about all of the snow back home (30 inches!) So sorry to be missing all that fun (NOT!)

When we leave here, we plan on hanging out at Cambridge Cay for a few days. Then it will be the usual drill (fuel, water, food and laundry!)